Hair or Nail Disease
Hair disease and nail disorders treated in Dulles
Did you know that Dr. Chaudhry has specialized training in treatment of hair
and nail disease?
She keeps patients in Dulles
, Western Loudoun, and South Riding looking great from head to toe.
Poor condition of hair is often a cosmetic symptom of an underlying health problem. Accurate diagnosis by a Board-certified dermatologist can have far-reaching wellness benefits.
Most hair diseases, hormonal or fungal, affect follicles, sheaths of connective tissue and cells surrounding hair roots. These are just a few hair diseases our doctors treat:
- Alopecia – Hair loss, thinning, and balding. It may be localized, such as male pattern baldness, or diffuse, and may or may not result in scarring.
- Hirsutism – A genetic condition in which a woman grows large amounts of course, dark hair on the face, chest, and back.
- Hypertrichosis -Ambras syndrome, excessive hair growth on the body, is usually congenital.
- Ingrown hair – People with coarse, curly hair sometimes develop follicle infections as hair grows sideways or corkscrews under skin.
- Piedra – A fungal infection resulting in soft white or black nodules on the scalp and hair.
Changes in the color and texture of nails can also be a sign of disease elsewhere in the body. A dermatologist’s care helps you enjoy more comfortable and attractive nails.
There are dozens of nails diseases, with fungus the most common. Onychomycosis is a yeast or fungal infection that invades through a tear in skin around the nail. The fungus digests keratin, a protein essential to healthy nails. They become yellowish or white and the texture changes. Without treatment, nails separate from the bed and crumble.
The doctor at Dulles Dermatology Associates in Dulles
, VA creates customized treatment protocols. From time-tested topical and oral medications to the latest laser therapies, your nail or hair disease
is in good hands. Call (844) 357-3376