Clear skin begins with personalized acne treatment in Dulles
While acne is associated with adolescence, about 20 percent of cases occur in adults, and young children can have breakouts, too. At any age, untreated or improperly treated acne can leave lifelong scars. Dr. Chaudhry helps patients from Dulles and throughout the greater Dulles
area enjoy the confidence of clear skin.
Causes of acne
A pimple forms when overproduction of oil from sebaceous glands traps dead skin cells at a hair follicle. This plugged pore allows destructive bacteria to flourish. Skin becomes irritated and inflamed, and infection develops. Key elements in combating acne are reducing oil production and controlling harmful bacteria.
A tendency toward acne may be inherited, and flare-ups are often associated with hormonal fluctuations:
Types of acne
- Comedones – Common pimples.
- Papules – Inflamed comedones, sometimes in clusters.
- Blackheads – Flat spots with dark centers and large openings.
- Whiteheads – Small, pale colored bumps.
- Acne mechanica – Mild breakouts caused by heat and friction, usually under a cap or helmet.
- Pustules – Pimples with pus-filled centers surrounded by red inflammation.
- Nodules – Hard lumps beneath the surface of skin that may be tender, inflamed, or infected.
- Cysts – Similar to boils; large and filled with pus.
- Acne conglobata – The most severe and scarring type, with multiple inflamed nodules connected under the skin.
Following a comprehensive examination of your skin, the doctor takes time to discuss your lifestyle to identify possible acne triggers. Then, a customized strategy is developed to clear existing blemishes
and keep your complexion healthy. This may be as simple as a daily regimen with high quality skin care products and topical acne treatments. Or it could involve oral medications, laser and light therapies, or platelet rich plasma (PRP) treatment for scarring.
For acne care as unique as you are,
call Dulles Dermatology Associates in Dulles
, VA at (844) 357-3376